This year, interior designers, vendors, and clients have all seen the significant impact that COVID has had on the industries surrounding “home” – supply shortages, increased freight charges, unprecedented lead times, and a wildly competitive housing market. While this has presented some challenges, we are still as excited as ever about what we do and creating homes that bring joy and comfort to our clients, which feels especially important during this time.
We’ve all heard the saying, “Good things come to those who wait” and those words perfectly capture what we want our clients to know right now. It will take time, but the waiting is worthwhile and ensures that you’ll end up with your dream space instead of one patched together with “quick ship” pieces.
Some words of advice:
- Prices are likely to continue increasing for the foreseeable future. The supply, manufacturing, and shipping challenges that are affecting furniture lead times could take a year or more to remedy. We simply don’t know when things will return to “normal,” so our advice is to buy the pieces you want now. The time will pass anyway.
- What is in stock or available for quick shipping may not be exactly what you want or need in your space. In many cases, the quality of these items is not comparable to craftsmen- or artisan-made products. Don’t compromise the long-term vision for short-term satisfaction. All well-designed spaces take time to come together, as they always have.
- The reality is that all supply chains are affected – from custom and high-end to mass-produced and affordable. If you’re going to have to wait anyway, you might as well get the items you truly want.
- If you have existing pieces you love and that make sense in the space, reupholstering and refinishing may be good options. We can help you decide which pieces might be worth keeping and updating.
- Be kind, be patient, and be joyous when your orders arrive. They will! We are all in this together and the process can remain fun and rewarding for all parties when we keep our focus on the big picture and find the good amidst the uncertainty.
We are very optimistic for the future and look forward to the day things feel back to normal. Until then, we are still designing beautiful spaces and making our clients happy.
If you’re interested in working with us on a new project, contact us here.